When it comes to interior design, it is often said that it is best to be “on trend” but not “trendy.” This is where classic and timeless design elements come into play and can help to serve as a timeless foundation for your home. If chosen purposefully, the selection of classic elements will allow you to be able to have decor elements that can be enjoyed for years. When it comes to selecting classic design elements, here are five top tips.
1. Consider classic bedding. Bedding is the foundation of every bedroom. Selecting a classic pattern will allow you to pair it with portable design elements that can infuse color and pattern such as pillows and throws.
2. Select a curated collection of throwback pieces. Throwback pieces are those you may have seen and admired decades ago, and now they are back in style. This is the foundation of a classic design.
3. Look to place classic design elements throughout various rooms of your home, from social areas such as living and dining spaces to bedrooms.
4. Purchase one or two curated classic pieces and use them as a foundation from which to add other classic elements over time.
5. Go for quality. Furniture and decor pieces that are well made will allow for longevity.
(Cathy Hobbs, based in New York City, is an Emmy Award-winning television host and a nationally known interior design and home staging expert with offices in New York City, Boston and Washington, D.C. Contact her at email@example.com or visit her website at cathyhobbs.com.) ©2022 Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
This story was originally published May 2, 2022 4:30 AM.